POSITION PAPER IV: WILD CARD

Saved and Streaming: The Rise of the Christian Lifestyle Aesthetic on Social Media



Faith is trending, but is it transforming? As Christian content floods our feeds with worship playlists and well-lit devotionals, believers face a new question: Is our walk with God being shaped by the Spirit, or by the algorithm? Across platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube, a new wave of content creators is bringing faith into the digital spotlight with the rise of the "Christian lifestyle aesthetic." Beautiful, serene, and faith-forward, these accounts blend scripture with routines, demonstrating to viewers a path to holiness. But as with all trends, there’s more than meets the eye.

What Is the Christian Lifestyle Aesthetic?

This content aesthetic is where faith merges with visual storytelling. It often features devotionals, modest fashion hauls, homemaking routines, and Scripture-centered encouragement. Creators like Ashley Hetherington have built entire platforms around spiritual wellness and feminine, Christ-centered living. Videos typically showcase day-to-day moments with God through a polished lens that appeals to today's algorithm-driven platforms.

Podcasts have also become central to this aesthetic. Ally Yost, Maddi Prewett Trout, Jeanine Amapola Ward, Emy Moore, Sadie Robertson Huff, and the hosts of Girls Gone Bible offer weekly Bible-based encouragement on topics like dating, friendships, identity, mental illness, and many more. These women serve as modern-day Titus 2 mentors (But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine- Titus 2:1 NKJV) to thousands of young women who may not have that guidance elsewhere.

 

Why It's Gaining Traction

The rise of this aesthetic reflects a cultural craving for stillness and clarity. In a world overflowing with noise, many are searching for truth, beauty, and peace; these creators offer all three in one scroll. For some, it's about reclaiming biblical womanhood in a society that often dismisses or distorts it. For others, it’s about finding community, structure, and joy in simple, faith-filled living.

This movement is also algorithmically blessed. Content that features soothing visuals, sincere messaging, and traditional values tends to perform well. But it also reflects something deeper: a hunger for identity, belonging, and hope.

The Good: Visibility, Encouragement, and Evangelism

There’s no doubt that this aesthetic has produced good fruit. Christianity is finding a seat at digital tables where it’s often been mocked or minimized. Christian content can inspire nonbelievers and build up believers. It has become a way for many to feel seen and spiritually supported. The message is clear: you can be biblical and joyful, traditional and free.

The Dangers: Aesthetic Faith and Shallow Theology

Unfortunately, beauty can mask brokenness. As someone who used to post Bible verses daily, attend church more than I was at home, and proclaim Christianity, I know how easy it is to perform faith without truly living it. I wasn’t rooted in the Word, I just looked like I was. I would go from singing songs saying, "How great is our God! ", to reading horoscopes that showed I had no faith in the greatness of God and His plans for me. (“Do not practice fortune-telling or witchcraft"- Leviticus 19:26 NLT) ( [God says] 'For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. ' - Jeremiah 29:11 NLT) My relationship with God had no depth, and the facade couldn’t save me. 

This is one of the greatest dangers of this trend: when Christianity becomes more about the vibe than the vine. ([Jesus says] “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing- John 15:5 NLT). Without Scripture at the center, curated faith can become hollow. It’s easy to scroll through devotionals and feel spiritually fed, but unless we’re meeting God personally, we’re starving.

There’s also a risk for creators. The enemy comes as an angel of light to deceive us. ( But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light- 2 Corinthians 11:14 NLT). A platform without spiritual maturity can lead to pride, burnout, or misleading others. When influence isn’t stewarded well, even good intentions can lead people away from the Gospel.

For consumers, the danger lies in overreliance. When we replace time in the Word with endless podcast episodes or let influencers determine our beliefs, we stunt our spiritual growth. As Romans 14:12 NLT reminds us, "Each of us will give a personal account to God." We must know Him for ourselves, not just through someone else’s lens.

A Call to Discernment and Depth

Christian media is a gift, but it should never replace the Giver. We’re called to test everything (but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good- 1 Thessalonians 5:21 NLT) and to know the voice of our Shepherd ( [Jesus said] 'My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. '- John 10:27 NLT). That means reading and comprehending the Holy Bible, praying consistently, and seeking God ourselves, not just through reels or episodes.

Personally, I’ve stopped posting daily verses and quote graphics until I know that people can see Christ in my life, not just on my Instagram story, for example. I try to balance the sermons and podcasts I listen to with my time in Scripture. If I haven’t prayed in days, why am I listening to five different devotionals? If a message isn’t for my season, I’ve learned not to force it. Discernment isn’t just for doctrine, but also for direction.

There is a great need for the local church. As much as I admire these creators, none of them can pastor me. The Body of Christ is designed for discipleship, accountability, and community (And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near- Hebrews 10:25 NLT). Walking on our own can lead to isolation and pride (I know this one from experience). Partnering with a Biblically sound and local church gives you a community of like-minded people who may be able to give clarity or ease on some aspects of your Christian walk.

Conclusion: Beauty with Roots

The Christian lifestyle aesthetic is beautiful when rooted in truth. It offers an alternative to the chaos of modern content and reminds us that faith can be both joyful and reverent. But like anything good, it must be approached with wisdom.

Let’s be people who don’t just repost the light, but live in it as my favorite scripture tells us to ( [Jesus said] 'In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. '- Matthew 5:16  NLT) Let’s steward our screens, eyes, ears, and tongues well, remembering that Christianity isn’t a brand or a trend. It’s a daily surrender, just like the one Jesus Christ made for us on the cross. In a world of filters and followers, may we never forget that the only approval that matters is the One who sees us in secret. "Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."(Colossians 2:7 NLT).

Comments

Popular Posts